The US administration said, on Monday, that all options are still on the table for its remaining 2,500 forces in Afghanistan, explaining that it had not taken decisions regarding its military commitment after the first of May.
And it came. State Department comments after the publication of reports that US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken launched an urgent new campaign to bolster the UN-led peace efforts that included a warning that the US military is considering leaving Afghanistan by May 1.
He said. Blinken in a letter to Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, published by the Afghan TV channel “Talua” and confirmed in a report published by “The New York Times”, that the United States “is considering withdrawing forces completely by May 1 while we discussed other options.”
A spokeswoman for the US State Department declined to confirm the authenticity of the message, but said that the United States “has not made any decisions regarding the status of our forces in Afghanistan after the first of May. All options are still on the table.”
The message said the United States was making high-level diplomatic efforts “to get things moving more realistically and quickly.” Towards a settlement and a permanent and comprehensive ceasefire. ”
The message added that the United States will ask the United Nations to invite foreign ministers and envoys from Russia, China, Pakistan, Iran, India and the United States to” discuss developing a unified approach to support peace in Afghanistan. ”
And she said that the United States will ask Turkey to host a high-level meeting “for the two sides in the coming weeks to finalize a peace agreement.”
And Blinken’s letter said that the limit proposal is Of the 90-day violence “aimed at preventing the Taliban from launching an offensive in the spring.”
And Blinken said that in the event of the withdrawal of the US military, he worried that “the security situation would get worse and that the Taliban would make quick gains on the ground.”
In an effort to push forward peace talks with the Taliban, Ghani said on Saturday that his government was ready to discuss holding new elections. And he insisted that any new government should take power through the democratic process.
Ghani met with the US special envoy to Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad in Kabul last week to discuss ways to resume the stalled peace negotiations with Taliban representatives. It will be held in Doha.
The US State Department said, “Khalilzad’s visit represents a continuation of US diplomacy in the region.”
Violence and killings targeting specific persons have increased since That the Afghan government began US-backed negotiations with the Taliban last September. Western security officials say the rebels, who already control large swaths of rural areas, are starting to gain ground around towns and cities.