The US State Department said, on Monday, that South Korea will increase its contribution to the cost of US forces stationed in the country according to an agreement reached with the United States.
A representative of the State Department said that the agreement reflects ” The Biden administration’s commitment to revitalize and modernize our democratic alliances around the world to enhance our common security and prosperity. ”
The proposed 6-year Special Procedures Agreement will replace the previous arrangement that expired at the end of 2019, removing A major source of tension in relations between the United States and South Korea.
The representative said that the proposed agreement includes “a tangible increase through negotiation in support contributions from the host country,” but he did not provide other details.
The “Wall Street Journal” reported that it is still necessary for the agreement to be approved by Parliament in South Korea.
The US State Department said that the two countries are currently working out the final steps to conclude the agreement to sign it.
South Korea’s chief envoy, Jeong Eun-bo, told reporters on Thursday that his country is seeking to settle vinegar The remaining PFAT and the signing of an agreement with Washington to share the costs of deploying 28,500 US troops.
Jeong made this statement upon his arrival in Washington to hold the first direct talks with US envoy Donna Wilton since the Biden administration took office in January. The two sides held their first videoconference last month.