The United States placed seven Chinese supercomputing companies on the economic ban list on Thursday, with the goal of slowing down the development of supercomputers used by the Chinese military.
According to a US Department of Commerce resolution, the activities of the following companies are in conflict with US national security and foreign policy interests:
- Tianjin Phytium Information Technology
- Shanghai High-Performance Integrated Circuit Design Center
- Sunway Microelectronics
- National Supercomputing Center Jinan
- National Supercomputing Center Shenzhen
- National Supercomputing Center Wuxi
- National Supercomputing Center Zhengzhou
The US Prohibition List was established in February 1997 and companies, research institutes and individuals listed here may only export or can be shipped to the US. The Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei, which caused a major scandal and deepened tensions between the two great powers, was added to this list in May 2019.
Beijing has not left without a word: China will take the necessary steps to ensure the rights and interests of companies, said Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Chao Li-chien.
Hardware, software, tests, curiosities and colorful news from the IT world by clicking here!