The spokesman for the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Stephane Dujarric, confirmed that the United Nations continues to call for an immediate end to violence in Marib, which is located to the northeast of the capital, Sana’a, and the rest of Yemen.
Dujarric said, Wednesday. We encourage all parties in Yemen to redouble their efforts to support the work of UN envoy Martin Griffiths in achieving a political solution and a nationwide ceasefire as soon as possible.
He also added that, “according to the humanitarian agencies, the form of displacement has occurred.” To Marib, and inside it, two-thirds of the total displacement cases in Yemen last year. ”
To this, he stressed,“ We and our humanitarian partners are working to increase support and planning, ”warning that“ the exacerbation of the situation could quickly overwhelm On existing capabilities and forcing hundreds of thousands to flee.
threatens the prospects for peace.
It is reported that the United Nations special envoy to Yemen, Martin Griffiths, had confirmed On February 18th, the Houthi attack on Marib governorate threatens the prospects for peace.
In a briefing to the Security Council, Griffiths said: “I want to stress that the military situation in the country is very tense .. more than ever before. During the three years (D) that you spent as a special representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations. ”
In addition, he warned that the conflict over the past month had taken a sharp escalating turn with the Houthi attack in Marib, which is under the control of the legitimate government, which is considered a place Temporarily for the arrival of thousands of Yemenis displaced by the war.
He also warned that the attack on the governorate endangers millions of civilians, especially with the threat of fighting reaching the IDP camps.