8.2 C
New York
Monday, May 23, 2022
HomeWorldUSSurfside condominium collapse victims reach $997 million settlement

Surfside condominium collapse victims reach $997 million settlement

MIAMI – Families of victims of collapse of Champlain Towers South Condominium in Surfside, Florida, 98 people died. people last year reached a $997 million settlement to compensate them for their staggering losses of a life.

Settlement agreement disclosed in court session on Wednesday and still expected final approval, including insurance companies, developers of neighboring building and other defendants in extended civil case. It’s coming six weeks before first Anniversary of tragedy on June 24.

“I’m shocked by this result “I think it’s fantastic,” said Judge Michael A. Huntsman. of district Court in Miami-Dade County. “This is recovery it is far in excess of what I foresaw.”

Ahead of Wednesday’s surprise announcement, the judge approved a much smaller settlement of 83 million dollars will be divided among apartment owners for them property losses. Not compensation was determined for families of in dead, who will now receive $997 million.

“This is a lot of money but it will never bring back Jonah’s mom, said Neil Handler, whose son was one of just Little people rescued alive from the rubble. John Handler’s mother Stacey Fang, 54, was first victim identified in collapse.

“No one can deal with what i was dealing with with last Sunday on Mother’s Day is not money will ever replace for him,” Mr. Handler said. of his son, who Now he is 16, he has broken many bones. in his back.

how money will be divided among relatives of 98 victims will be identified in coming weeks. National Institute of Standards and technologies are still exploring what caused 13-story135 units building crumble in middle of night and review this may take years.

Difference compensation for the families of the victims who lost loved ones and survivors, who lost apartments, led to significant friction between the groups and to rude, emotional testimony in court at the hearing in March, which pushed the two sides against together.

“We know we are not cause this crash,” Oren Citrinbaum, the owner of the division, said at the time. “A billion dollars if I on the other side won’t bring those loved ones back”.

Funds for $83 million for the owners of the apartments will be from Champlain Towers South insurance companies, and the sale of land where building stood at 8777 Collins Avenue. Nearly two acres of beach property sale expected soon after the auction, for at least $120 million.

As part of their earlier settlement, the owners of the apartments were released from any liability for negligence in in buildings maintenance. Under Florida law, they could be sued. for up to cost of their units.

At first any settlement seemed unlikely. The families of some of the victims claimed that all money reinstated by law should go to them and no one to the owners of the units. Judge Huntsman disagreed, stating that the apartment owners should have rebuild their lives from scratch after huge economic losses. Part of in building what did not collapse was demolished in days after the tragedy with the apartment owners will never be able to return.

Judge Huntsman approved this $83 million settlement. in March, with No guarantee that more money would follow for victims’ families – and the possibility of long, drawn-outout test that can last years, as do many class action lawsuits.

Much larger settlement for victims’ families made public on Wednesday came after developers of neighborhood luxury buildingPark Eighty-Seven and lots of contractors and consultants who have been prosecuted or investigated by victims’ lawyers signed on. The plaintiffs argued that the building work in Eighty Seven Park damaged Champlain Towers South – the accusation that Eighty Seven Park developers the contractors refused.

Lawyers said that the settlement agreement for the victims’ families could expand even further, to around $1 billion, if they reach an agreement. with the rest of the company. Among the companies that have agreed to move in are engineers who inspected and started work eliminate serious design flaws in Champlain Towers South before collapse.

Companies do not admit wrongdoing under of settlement. But Judd G. Rosen, one of lawyers for families of victims who did not own apartments, said that the numbers of the settlements “say for themselves.”

“This is step in right direction to give them meaning of dignity and accountability for what happened,” he said. of families of the victims. “A billion dollars don’t get paid without any sense of accountability for this loss.”

Generally, total amount recovered for both families of victims and survivors could top $1.1 billion.

Judge Huntsman said that like finalize the settlement by June 24 and pay compensation to the survivors and families of the victims by the fall.

Susana Alvarez, 62, survivor of collapse, she said and other unit owners did not receive information about when they actually get it money.

“Lot of us need to buy homes; we literally live with relatives,” she said, adding that just wanted to move on since that terrible day.

“I’m alive, thank God,” she said. “We just want be at peace.”

Pablo Rodriguez, who lost his mother Elena Blasser, 64, and grandmother Elena Chavez, 88, in collapse, said he had mixed feelings about the settlement.

“I think that it’s best result what could we hope for for given the situation,” Mr. Rodriguez said, “although in fact there is no amount of money it makes everything right.”

Almost year Mr. Rodriguez, 41, later said that death of his loved ones still seem unreal and intrusive.

“This Video of in building the fall, he said, it still wakes me up up at night.”

Follow World Weekly News on

Tyler Hromadka
Tyler is working as the Author at World Weekly News. He has a love for writing and have been writing for a few years now as a free-lancer.

Leave a Reply

Must Read