8.2 C
New York
Wednesday, August 17, 2022
HomeWorldUKRequest after 93-year-old man with one leg dies after...

Request after 93-year-old man with one leg dies after being stunned by police | Police

Two policemen involved in firing Taser in 93-year-old man in wheelchair, who threatened to leave home employees with knife, explored for manslaughter after killing a person death.

Donald Burgess who It was one leg and suffered from dementia, died last month, three weeks after hit taser.

Thursday Independent Office for The Conduct Police (IOPC) have confirmed they are investigating an incident on June 21 involving two constables from the Sussex Police.

They answered calls that a resident in care home in St. Leonards-on- Sea had a knife and threatened the staff.

One of officers tried to restrain Burgess using aerosol can and baton. Then another officer fired the stun gun before the knife was removed.

Burgess was handcuffed and taken to the hospital, where he remained for the rest of his life. death on July 13.

Sussex Police referred the incident to a supervisory authority following allegations of excessive use of force his officers.

The two constables involved were served with misconduct notices and letters telling them they are under criminal the study for manslaughter. The IOPC stressed that this does not necessarily mean that disciplinary proceedings or criminal charges will follow.

Law enforcement agencies took the testimony of witnesses and check the testimony of officers. body-worn out camera captured material. Investigators also attended the autopsy and is awaiting the results of medical examinations as cause of Burgess death not known yet.

regional director, Graham Beasley, said: “I want express sympathy to the family and friends of the man who knew him. We advised him next of relative of our independent investigation and explained steps we will take.

“This will include investigating whether force used by two officers against this man was reasonable, necessary and proportionate in circumstances and in line with local and national policies, procedures and guidelines”.

In 2020, the IOPC stated that it is concerned about claims of disproportionate use of stun guns against black people and those with mental health problems.

Deborah Coles, Executive Director director of human rights organization Inquest said it was “deeply disturbed” as well as in disbelief at the level of force used against Old man.

She said, “It’s almost shameless to think of very vulnerable old man with dementia in care home be subjected to such use of force on hands of police. It begs the question why there was police and not medical care for the man in such obvious suffering.

She is added: “It is vital that criminal prompt and effective investigation ensure those responsible held accountable.”

Follow World Weekly News on

Adrian Ovalle
Adrian Ovalle
Adrian is working as the Editor at World Weekly News. He tries to provide our readers with the fastest news from all around the world before anywhere else.

Leave a Reply

Must Read