Tarrio, 38, was not in Washington that day, but was allegedly directing the group’s activities from nearby Baltimore when members of the Proud Boys were engaged in the earliest and most aggressive attacks to confront and overwhelm the police in several critical points on restricted area of the Capitol. One of the defendants, Dominic Pezzola, of Rochester, New York broke through first window of in building at 14:13 with a stolen police riot shield, authorities said.
BUT new The 10-count indictment, replacing the indictment returned Monday morning, indicted Tarrio, Pezzola and three other current co-defendants, Ethan Nordin, of Seattle, Joe Biggs, of Ormond Beach, Florida and Zachary Rel of Philadelphia – with “an objection to the legal transfer of presidential power on force’, eventually gathering and coordinating movements of as many as 300 people around the Capitol that day. The defendants are accused of fomenting and leading a riot that stormed the Capitol, eventually leading to an evacuation of Congress as it met to confirm 2020 election results.
federal prosecutors previously leveled a historically rare charge of seditious conspiracy for in first time in January 6 attack against founder and leader of extremist group Oathkeepers, Stuart Rhodes and 10 employees. Since the indictment in January, and year after violence two of Co-defendants Rhodes and one another member of the Oathkeeper pleaded guilty to the charge and is cooperating with Department of Justice: Joshua James, 34 of Alabama, Brian Ulrich, 44 of Georgia and William Todd Wilson, 44 of North Carolina.
Also in April one of Co-defendants Tarrio, Charles Donoghue, of North Carolina, pleaded guilty to two felony counts including obstruction official process of Congress. His plea provided information about groups plans and the intention to disrupt the elections vote confirmation.
Tarrio and the others pleaded not guilty to the previous indictment. with misdemeanors, including conspiracy to obstruct Congress or interfere with police work in civil disorder. allegations on monday adds two new counts, seditious conspiracy – punished up up to 20 years in prison – and conspiracy to prevent the officer from performing any duties. BUT new hearing for in group was set for Friday.
new accusations show what prosecutors collect the bigger picture of organization within extremist groups that overlapped, if not common goals. The investigation uncovered hints of coordination between groups, even as the FBI and DOJ expand their investigation into the ranks of former Political orbit of President Donald Trump. A House Select Committee is investigating the case on Jan. 6. attack He is expected to be in the spotlight on such connections in public hearings begin on Thursday.
For example, in recent weeks prosecutors presented as evidence in Tarrio case video of meeting in underground garage near the Capitol among Tarrio, Rhodes, Kelly Sorelle (lawyer who worked with oath keepers) on the day before of unrest, January 5, 2021 Leaders of two right-wing groups of Trump supporters were also in the meeting: Joshua Macias of Veterinarians for Trump, the scheduled speaker for the next day, and Bianca Gracia, head of Hispanics for Trump and January 6 event organizer with White House connections.
Fragments of audio not released capture what the group discussed. Tarrio said he was only interested in in connection with SoRelle because she was “good lawyer” after being released from jail and ordered to leave Washington pending trial for separate incident – arson of Black Lives Matter banner stolen from the Church of the District of Columbia in December 2020 after another pro-Trump rally. Tarrio subsequently pleaded guilty. in the burning banner case and completed a four-month jail term before that year.
At the same time, several members of the Oath Keepers provided security. for Trump confidant Roger Stone on January 5 and 6, according to court records, while he surrounded himself at previous pro-Trump rallies with Proud Boys, including Tarrio, longtime partner who served one of Stone’s assistants.
In the case of the Keepers of the Oath, the defendant this spring made public transcript of November 9, 2020, GoToMeeting video conference call of Keepers of the Oath in which Rhodes members sum up SoRelle on “works multiple pods” to challenge Biden win. SoRelle said those in pods included the Trump campaign, the Republican National Committee, Canon supporters, and legal defense attorney Rudolph W. Giuliani. team.
Tarrio also used an encrypted messaging app to communicate with and Rhodes and Stone, who It was drawn up “Stop theft” plan on November 5, two days after the election, according to footage from film crew reported by The Washington Post on previously.
Stone, Macias, SoRelle and Garcia were not charged. of misdemeanor.
The indictment filed Monday largely repeats Tarrio’s alleged allegations. role in discussions that preceded the violence at the US Capitol. December 30 and 31, prosecutors claim Tarrio exchanged messages with personality who sent him a plan called “The Return of 1776” to occupy “important buildings”. in Washington, including the House of Representatives and Senate buildings, with “so much people as possible”. After sending the document, the man allegedly informed Tarrio that “the revolution [sic] the most important thing,” to which Tarrio supposedly replied: “This is what every waking moment consists of.” of … I don’t playing games”.
On January 3, an unidentified “Person 3″ wrote on encrypted chat of the Proud Boys management, which group should “Plan operations around the main entrance to the Capitol. building”, – stated in the indictment. The next day, as stated, Tarrio posted a voice a message to a group of leaders of the MOSM – the self-proclaimed “Ministry of of Self-defense» of his senior deputies, stating: “I did not hear this voice pay attention so far want storm the Capitol.
And after the Capitol was broken into, Tarrio wrote in telegram group chat “We did it”, prosecutors said.
That night, in a new detail alleged in 32 page indictment one member of the Proud Boys, identified as “Man 1”, wrote Tarrio a jubilant message with profanity “1776”. Tarrio, according to the indictment, then replied, “The Winter Palace,” a reference to the Proud Boys planning document, which had a section titled “Storming the Winter Palace” referring to the Russian Revolution. of 1917 and former Imperial Palace in St. Petersburg attacked by the Bolsheviks, CNN first reported.
Someone identified in indictment “Face One” also proposed Tarrio that the elections result may be invalidated if legislators failed to vote by midnight, a seeming attempt at an interpretation of the Electoral Count Act. in a way deny a Biden victory, echoing a week-long effort by Trump’s own lawyers.
Enrique Tarrio, longtime leader of the Proud Boys, indicted with CONSPIRACY in January 6 attack on Capitol
Proud boys are famous for brandishing clubs at rallies and meetings and for desire for sparring with their perceived enemies in Left antifa movement. During the presidential election debate in In September 2020, Trump famously refused to denounce the Proud Boys, urging them to “stand back and be there.” group took these words were a battle cry that seemed to energize the members in months leading up to January 6th. While Russia’s leaders deny racism, some members have ties to groups that espouse white-nationalist rhetoric common among hate groups.
The proud boys are engaged in street fights with extreme, leftMembers of the Antifa wing during rallies in support of Trump in Washington, in November and December 2020, one of which included the Tarrio flag burning incident and one in to which Locust, North Carolina Proud Boys member Jeremy Bertino was stabbed to death, corresponding to prosecutors identification of “Man 1”.