Seoul, South Korea
North Korea fired two short range ballistic missile shots into the water off East Coast of Korean peninsula on Friday, according to South Korean military officials, heightening tensions in in region.
Rockets were fired from Dongcheon County. in North Korea’s eastern province of Kangwon from 11:59 a.m. to 12:18 p.m. local time and flew about 230 kilometers (143 miles). with height of about 24 kilometers (15 miles), according to a statement by South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff. of Personnel (JCS).
test was “a serious act of provocation” that threatens peace and stability on peninsula andclear violation” of UN Security Council resolutions banning North Korean ballistic missile launches, JCS said, adding that they are working. with United States to monitor North Korean movements.
United States military said he knew of a North Korean launch that “poses no immediate threat to the US.” personnel or territory, or our allies,” the U.S. Indo-Pacific Command said in a statement.
Friday’s launch is the 28th in North Korea this year. year, according to CNN’s reckoning, and comes after the shutdown of South Korea. up this is Hoguk military exercises – a joint amphibious operation of the South Korean Navy, Marine Corps and air force.
Earlier this month, the North Korean state media broken six months of silence over it’s yearpressure of missile tests, claiming they were meant to demonstrate Pyongyang’s readiness fire tactical nuclear warheads by potential targets in south.
Aggressive acceleration in Weapons testing raises alarm in in region, with US, South Korea and Japan response with missile launches and joint military exercises.
South Korea next week set hold a major joint air force preparation with United States with the participation of the American F-35B stealth aircraft, according to the South Korean Air Force.
Experts previously told CNN that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un may have sent a message by deliberately demonstrating national arsenal during the period of elevated global conflict.
Representatives from South Korea and the United States were warning since May that North Korea can prepare for seventh nuclear test – this is first since 2017 – with satellite imagery showing the activity of its underground nuclear test website.
Speaking to reporters on Thursday, head of A UN nuclear monitor said “everyone held their breath” over a potential North Korean nuclear program. test, which could provide further “confirmation of a program which the moving full steam ahead in a way it’s incredibly disturbing.”
“We are following this very, very closely. We hope that this will not happen, but the signs, unfortunately, in another direction” said IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi.