- Trump latest volley in his efforts to get special master has been criticized as a “PR document” rather than a serious legal document.
- His lawyers reworked the claims of political bias and hinted at his possible 2024 presidential run.
- It is noteworthy that they made no mention of his week-long claim that he had widely declassified documents seized from Mar-a-Lago.
Legal status of former President Donald Trump team in a new Court files revised lawsuits on Wednesday of political bias against the Ministry of Justice; referred to him possible 2024 presidential run; and argued that Trump has the right to sue the Justice Department and seek a court order.”special master” in commemoration of FBI search of his estate Mar-a-Lago.
“Three weeks after the unprecedented, unnecessary and unauthenticated raid on in home of president – and possibly candidate against in current Executive Director in 2024 – Government represented by the Department of Justice … and the US Attorney’s Office filed an emergency document with this court, assuming that the Department of Justice, and only the Department of Justice, should be trusted with a responsibility of appreciating his unjustified persecution of criminalization former Presidential possession of personal and presidential records in safe installation,” the statement said.
it also disputed an earlier Justice Department assertion that Trump did not have the authority to file a lawsuit. against USA, stating that “it is a reasonable expectation of Confidentiality in onex home what causes the apparent standing of landlord disputes search on these premises.”
Within minutes of Court documents are filed, however, national security professionals and former prosecutors indicated out what, like Trump’s original lawsuit read: more like press release than a legal document.
For one former U.S. Attorney Harry Litman wroteTrump would have legal capacity — or the right to sue — but only if he is indicted and “can’t do it.” in promote.”
And Andrew Weismann, former FBI general counsel who later worked in in special counsel Robert Mueller office, also noted that contrary to Trump, the team’s claim that the Justice Department is “criminalizing” him is only grand the jury can indict him.
“This how our justice system works,” Weismann wrote. – This is another PR pitch, not a serious one. one.”
Notably, Trump team made no mention in submission on Wednesday of his weeks-long claim that he had widely declassified everything materials withdrawn from Mar-a-Lago, the statement he made on Truth Social no later than Wednesday morning. it also failed to respond to the Justice Department’s most damning accusation, made in lawsuit on tuesday night: that he has evidence of ‘probable’ attempts to obstruct Trump’s investigation of national safety information.
Trump first sued last week with a motion for a court order”special master – usually former judge – sift materials who were captured in search and filter out anyone who may be privileged. But the Justice Department said in his response on Tuesday that Trump is not entitled to special Master because the records in the question “does not belong to him.”
FBI recovered more than two dozen boxes of government records, some of which were highly classified and marked by topsecret, after executing a search warrant in Mar-a-Lago earlier this month. it in addition to 15 boxes of documents that Trump turned over in January in response to a request from the National Archives.
branch also paved out the most detailed report of investigators’ suspicions that Trump and his team misled them when they in a letter dated 3 June stated that all secret documents kept at Mar-a-Lago had been returned to government after a thorough search.
FBI “recovered twice so many documents with rating marks as a “thorough search” for which Trump’s attorney and other representatives “have had weeks” to perform, the Justice Department said in his response to Trump’s lawsuit. This “puts into serious question the representation made in certificate dated 3 June and calls into question on degree of cooperation in this business”.
The DOJ statement on Tuesday was “destructive and deserves a serious and precise response,” wrote a longtime former Federal Attorney Renato Mariotti. But Trump’s response was “long on hyperbole and brevity on law” and, apparently, bypassed “the most incriminating details.”